- Public vote for best magazine cover (independent.ie)
- Will it be Darth Vader, Daleks or Kate Moss? Vote for greatest magazine cover of century (mirror.co.uk)
- Top magazine covers poll: a missed opportunity? (guardian.co.uk)
For reasons too detailed to explain, this item is on my computer – why don’t I share it with the world?
Thai chicken noodle soup
Even if you don’t have much chicken left over, you should still make this. A few shreds will be plenty. This is a very laissez-faire recipe: I happily use some leafy greens and a julienned spring onion along with a handful of beansprouts instead of tender-shoot stir-fry. Similarly, udon or soba noodles, spaghetti or linguine could be substituted for vermicelli.
• 1 litre/1¾ pints chicken stock
• 150g/5oz thin rice noodles or mung bean thread vermicelli
• 200ml/7fl oz coconut milk
• 1 x 3-4cm/1-1½in piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thinly, then cut into skinny strips
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 fresh long red chilli, de-seeded and cut into strips
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp ready-made tamarind paste
• 1 tsp soft brown sugar
• 2 tbsp lime juice
• approx. 150g/5oz leftover cooked chicken, shredded
• 250g/9oz tender-shoot stir-fry (a mixture of pak choi, bok choi, spindly asparagus, Chinese kale, peanut shoots and Chinese chives), or other assorted vegetables
• 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve
1. Put the chicken stock in a good-sized pan to heat up.
2. Put the noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over (or cook as instructed on the packet).
3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the tender-shoot stir-fry, to the pan and bring to the boil.
4. When the chicken is piping hot, add the tender-shoot stir-fry and when the vegetables are tender – a minute or two should be plenty if you’re using the tender shoots – add the drained noodles. (Or simply divide the noodles between bowls and pour the soup over them.)
5. Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander.
PS. This recipe was probably donated to a web-site by somebody famous – but I didn’t keep the links and cannot remember who. If it is your recipe, or it was you who donated it – hey, that’s the price of fame – if you can’t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. (Pun not intended)
(apologies to Stan Lee)
I know; DC and Marvel……..